Sunday, January 25, 2009

Randomness




As promised, some screen shots I took while playing the Princess Maker game. From top: Having a conversation with the prince outside the castle, dancing with the prince during National Day celebration and having a Christmas dinner with the prince.

Also, I updated my shoutbox at the right there - feel free to spam anything in it =) I'm also in the process of designing some buttons and a banner for my blog, so please wait for it~

Oh ya, I just finished reading a book titled 'Memoirs of a Geisha'. I normally do not read books written from the first person point of view unless for academic purposes, because I simply do not like the word 'I', 'I', 'I' being constantly badgered around, and the revelations of their private emotions could be a little irritating if the author is not so skillful =.="

Still, this book fascinated me from the very moment I picked it up. First of all, the beautiful, almost surreal cover.


Besides, I have a passion for Japanese culture, and learning about geishas do not hurt, literally and figuratively. Some have the perception that a geisha is nothing better than a prostitute, but that's quite far away from the truth. From the first day of apprenticeship, they learn all the etiquette of a geisha, involving playing musical instruments, the arts serving tea, bowing, and a whole lot more.

What I really like about the book is the funny expressions the author uses in similes. To give you an idea: "as afraid of fire as sake must be of a thirsty old man", "as uncomfortable as the dog Taka must have felt when he swallowed a needle and Auntie and Grandma put their fingers in his throat to get the needle out", and lots more like that =D Besides, the author has a unique way of describing the things happening from Sayuri/Chiyo (the leading character)'s perspective which does not make people feel that he's forcing the details on us, but rather making us appreciate and imagine it vividly in our minds.

All in all, if you are looking for epic tales of romance, adventure or mystery, this book might not be your cup of tea. However, if like me, you appreciate a tale which contains historical facts, illustrates the lives of people during and before World War II in Japan, walks parallel to reality without being too dreary, then 'Memoirs of a Geisha' is definitely for you.

If you can't stand reading books (this book is really thick), you might opt to check out the movie adaptation of this book, which I didn't watch because Zhang ZiYi starred as Chiyo/Sayuri, and not a Japanese. Being one myself, I'm not prejudiced against Chinese though, I just think that a Japanese might be able to portray the culture and perspective better :)

By the way, I'm celebrating Chinese New Year, and today's New Year Eve~ If I'm up to it I will take some photos and post them in the next few posts. Gong Xi Fa Cai everyone!

2 comments:

EvA said...

Nice screenshots of the game. ;D Now im thinking that game really is more like an otome game rather than a game like The Sims. =O One girl + Many bishies = FTW!!

Nice new look on your blog btw. ;D Ouh and i replied to your comment on my blog about my blog button. I posted a link to my blog button. But it does'nt have my name on it. Just says blog. =/ So i might make a new one sometime later. But you can use that one for now if you like. ^_^

Memoirs of a Geisha sounds like a nice book to pick up. I watched the movie and it was interesting. All the japanese culture and all. ;D

Post those pics! I don't think i've ever seen you in photos. xD

yukina-rei said...

Guess what? I actually forgot to bring my camera =.="

For the game, I did some research, and one of the endings is 'daughter marries father' >_______________< Thank goodness the father isn't her real father o_O

Lol, okay. I will try to post some photos of my back in my next post >333