Thursday, July 16, 2009

Of all the last minute work I can do...

I didn't think that it was entirely impossible, but it seemed so last night.

IPGM-KBA's director, Dr Sofi's birthday falls on the 15th of July. I remembered celebrating it with the rest of my batch last year during our orientation week, so as one of the Student Council members, I thought I might do it again. That was 4 days ago.

Then, it turned out that on the 15th of July, Dr Sofi was away at a meeting, and I thought my plans had to be cancelled. After referring to my 'boss' Madjack, he advised me to carry my plans out during the closing ceremony of the July 2009 intake, whose orientation week just finished :) That was 2 days ago.

Yesterday, I met up with the lecturer in charge of the closing ceremony, Madam Norhazian, and my "deputy boss", Faruq had already told her the celebration plan. She asked me to make a special performance on the violin, and halfway throughout my performance, they will switch off the lights, and after which I will start playing the birthday song. That's an ingenious idea, as it provides a pleasant surprise in disguise~ So, I agreed.

The problem: No birthday cakes were included in her plan, neither were flowers and the rest.

So yesterday night, I suddenly remembered that we actually have to buy a cake in order to have one for the celebration. That was around 11pm - all the shops were already closed by then :x And the next morning would be the celebration...

...

hurm. And I had to practise the special performance with my guest guitarist, Awie, and brief him the details about the surprise and all...

After discussing the situation with Madjack again, we agreed to buy all the necessary stuff the next morning. Now, there's the problem with the money. In the end, we collected RM0.50 - RM1.00 from each of the new students for our funds. So, we went to the main hall, where the Muslim juniors just finished their religious activities, and collected their money right there. The whole activity ended at 2am, and I slept at 2.34 am Z.z

Today:
Woke up at 7.00 am, prepared all my stuff and went to the main hall at 8.05 am. Then, I received a text message telling me to bring along the money collected from the students. Headed back to the hostel.

8.15 am, reached the main hall for the second time, just right on time to explain my duties and functions as the exco for culture and arts. Did a really short speech, forgot to introduce my assistant and secretary =x

9.15 am, departed from college and went to Bangsar to search for the things we need.

9.30 am Found ready-made cakes at Berry's Cake House. Bought 2 cakes there, one for Dr Sofi and another for the juniors whose birthday falls on this week.

10.00 am Searched for flowers at the morning market in Bangsar. Found pretty roses in the 2nd stall we went to, 3 stalks of roses, 1 stalk of berries and 3 stalks of furries made a nice bouquet :D

10.15 am Bought the confetti and birthday card at the nearest available bookstore.

10.30 am Arrived back in college. Briefed the juniors in charge of bringing out the cake and handing over the flowers. Finished my brunch amidst several interruptions in the form of my duties of briefing those who had to handle these stuff.

11.00 am Start of the closing ceremony.

11.50 am Performed with Awie on stage with the pretext of welcoming the juniors to this institute.

11.52 am Lights off. Birthday song~

The rest that happened after that was history. I was glad to see the surprised smile on Dr Sofi's face when I started to play the birthday song though :D Being able to put a smile on someone's face is a really fun thing to do :)

To conclude everything, when there's a will, there's a way :p We were happy, Dr Sofi was happy. End of story~

No comments: