Friday, July 10, 2009

Reminiscence

Weird name for a post, I know :)

My friends said I've changed since some time around the end of last semester. According to them, I've become more particular about my appearance (like, since when have I actually cared whether my shirt matches my pants?) Before this, I used to wear any clothes that can cover my body, I mean, that's the main purpose of clothes, right?

Next, they say that I speak more Malay recently. Even from my own observations, I really speak more Malay now ^_^ When I first came into IPBA, I used to speak English with all the budak TESL, and a mixture of English and Malay with the others. Now, I speak Malay with almost everyone except for my Chinese friends.

I used to be an anime freak, self-labeled otaku, and I drool over anything related to anime or manga, even spending over RM150+ for an art book. Now, I care about anime and manga just for the sake of its art...as graphic designing is still my hobby, and I can get really good ideas from this form of Japanese art.

My friends who know me from secondary school will be shocked to know that I'm actually listening to songs in English, Malay and Chinese now. They used to tease me mercilessly that my songs folder contain 90% Japanese music, 8% classical music and 2% of songs in other languages. Now, I love music from Green Day, Avenged Sevenfold, Blink 182, Jay Chou, JJ Lim and more, a big difference from what I'm used to.

Sometimes I wonder, why have I changed?

Is it because I've grown up and become more mature?

or

Is it because I was influenced by other people around me?

Somehow, I feel that the answer is more to the latter...since handling a particular event last semester, I've realised that the world is not only limited to what I'm used to , but it is formed by different people with different backgrounds and different personalities. Having to work with other people, to ask for permission and to endure tyrannical behaviour from a particular lecturer forced me to learn that things do not always happen the way you want it to.

Still, I'm grateful for the experience...through the event, I got to know many musicians who are as spirited in music as I am. From chords to composing music to harmony to synchronisation, I've indeed gained a lot of knowledge. Also through this event, I managed to recruit two great guitarists for my future band in Canterbury, both with their specialties. In fact, I regularly exchange text messages with one of them, who managed to stump me with all the questions about music he asked me, and impressed me with his knowledge of music, especially when considering that he has not received formal music education before. Go Cocuphy!!! :p

One of my biggest faults was that I tend to develop a crush on someone very easily and quickly, and the feeling will disappear just as quickly. I'm not afraid to admit that I've done the same thing in college before, but I've already lost any romantic interest I might have had for that person. Now, I just hope that the person is not offended by all the stupid gossip, for it was my fault that I acted improperly, and I have the feeling that we are uncomfortable in each other's presence. Still, I need his help in the Merchant of Venice play and the Music Society, and I don't want to be like strangers when we once worked together and made an event a success. I have only myself to blame that I revealed my feelings to some of my friends, not knowing that one of them is the kind who wants just the guy that other people are interested in. Well, I don't need to continue the story ^_^"

At least, one positive thing about myself is that I will never be interested in people who are already unavailable, i.e. who have girlfriends or boyfriends at the moment; or those whose my friends are interested in >_<

------

Now, the idea to form a Music Society is going on quite okay...as opposed to really well or impossible :) I got the assurance from Madam Satinah (our deputy director), Tn Haji Kamar (the Head of the Social Studies department), Mr Baseni (Head of GERKO), Mr Baharudin (ex-head of GERKO) and Madam Khalijah (a music lecturer) that they will fully support this proposal. The only problem is with Tn Syed - as I'm worried that he might use his principle of 'girls only' for the usage of the music room :( Besides, I have to wait until the next meeting on the 27th of July for them to formally approve this proposal in a meeting, unless Mr Baseni has the power to allow us to operate before that by signing my letter of request to use the music room. My impatience is killing me...*facepalms*

Practice also has been going on every night for the Merchant of Venice. Since I'm in charge for the music section, I need to compose more songs and decide which to use for which scene. Now, I still need to come out with a nice waltz for one particular scene. Oh, and if anyone who knows them are reading this, extend my thanks to the 3 guitarists from 3 Missed Calls - hengget, awie and rahman for agreeing to help us out :D We really appreciate it~ I still need an extra musician...any volunteers? :p

Oh, and just for fun, this is the logo I designed for 3 Missed Calls~ I just hope that I can join in the show next time :D any comments or advice will be greatly appreciated~



P.S: If anyone wants me to design a logo for them, just drop me a note - I will do it for free if I know you...huhuh :p

1 comment:

mallus domestica said...

wauh wauh wauh =) all the best for you!!