Sunday, November 1, 2009

Calling

Abruptly, my body tensed, and my knuckles gripped the book I was reading so tightly that they turned white. It was as though time froze for a few seconds, which in turn seemed like eternity. Not even daring to breathe in case everything turned out to be a dream, I closed my eyes and listened again for the telltale sound which would mean that you have come, to me.

The hair on my neck prickled, I shivered despite my thick, woolen clothes and sat in my chair as still and straight as a rod. Every fiber in my being comes on full alert when you silently appeared behind me. Even without turning back, I could sense your presence immediately, for the atmosphere in the room took a dangerous, enticing air when you are around.

Slowly and deliberately, I put down my book, stood up and met your gaze. Without saying anything, I could understand you fully through looking into your dark, beautiful eyes. The depth of the swirling, raging emotions I saw there almost made my legs buckle underneath me, not because I fear them, but because I felt my own emotions rising to mirror yours.

There you stood, strong and tall as a warrior, clad in a long, black cloak which nevertheless could not shadow the burning want and desire etched clearly on your handsome face. The unspoken messages in your eyes made me shiver in anticipation and uncertainty despite myself.

I raised my hand timidly to touch your face, but being afraid of spoiling the moment, dropped my hand before it was halfway there. I wanted nothing else but to bury myself in your arms and pour out all my feelings for you after being separated from you for so long, but your unerring gaze made my stay where I was.

Time stood still, with neither of us moving an inch. I searched your face for answers, but got none other than the knowledge that you have suffered much physical hardship, while I suffered equal torment waiting for you. A longing stirred in me, and I took a step closer to you.

With a blink, I found myself in your embrace, my face buried in the warmth of your shoulders like how I wanted. At that moment, I knew that I wouldn't care nor mind, if the end of the earth arrived, or if time stopped forever. The sensation of having you close to me, near enough to touch and feel is more than enough.

The music from the clock that signified the arrival of dawn startled both of us. I wanted to scream, cry and die at the same time when I realised what was happening. Until now, I could still feel your gentle hand on my face, wiping away my tears.

"I'm yours, forever and always," were the last words I heard before you disappeared once again.

~*~*~

I sat in my living room, reading a book as always, though it was a different book than the one I read when I last met you. I'm gradually adjusting towards my life without you, but the pain of losing you never stopped gnawing at my heart. Every familiar object, scenery, smell or sight that reminds me of you makes my heart ache like it's going to break into a million pieces. I still remember the warmth of your lips upon mine, the firmness yet gentleness of your touch, and most of all, your dark, enchanting eyes that tell a thousand and one different stories.

The glass of water on the reading table seemed innocent enough, clear as crystal, never betraying the deadly poison it carries. Suddenly, a strong, freezing gust of wind blew into the room, knocking over the candlestick on the table, which in turn pushed the glass over the table, shattering it like how my heart was shattered. I paid no attention to the glass, nor the bleeding cuts on my hands from it, for there you were, in the doorway, looking just like how I remembered you.

"It's not time yet...don't give up so easily on life," you, or rather your apparition said, with a look so sorrowful that it tore at my battered soul. In an instant, the wind stopped, and you disappeared once again.

Then, I broke down and wept. Wept for all that was, and all that might be, if only you were here with me...

No comments: