Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Breaking Conformity

According to the Collins Cobuild Dictionary 2006, conformity means behaving in the same way as most other people. In some ways, it is good. Like how you might help a child who fell down, help your friend to carry some stuff if you think it's too heavy, queue up at the cashier while paying, etc etc.

However, in most cases that involve thinking, conformity is really dangerous. Imagine if all the people who lived before us conformed their minds to a certain set of rules. Galileo, for instance. If he did not dare to challenge the notion that the Earth was the centre of the universe, we will still be believing that until now. What about all the scientists who invented all those gadgets we are taking for granted today? From electric lamps to PDA phones, all of them are the brainchild of scientists who dared to challenge conformity, to think out of the box and ultimately, to come up with something new, different, useful and innovative.

Okay, I'm not claiming to be a scientist here, and I do not know how to invent things...yet. I just want to share with you some of the things I have done to break conformity - of course, nobody was harmed during this *ahem* production xD

#1: Holding the door open for other people.
Somehow, it has been a common practice for the man to hold the door open for a lady (although sadly the habit is not practised much in IPBA), but there's rarely, if not never, a case of a lady holding the door open for a man.

What I did: When I walked out of the library with a bunch of people, I held the door open for the guy behind me.

Result: Well, I was expecting a 'thank you', but it didn't come. And the guy behind him gave me a baffled look and asked, "Why did you hold the door for him? He's a guy!"

#2: Offers from others - sincere or not?
You know how when people offer you food, they expect you to say no instead of taking it. That's why I played this small joke, more for the sake of observing the reaction than having the food ^_^

What I did: I was at a meeting with one MPP guy named Rahman, and one of his pals was also there. He took out a packet of pickled mandarin orange skin, and offered it to me. I actually saw him draw his hand back a little when I stretched my hand out =D That shows that my hypothesis was true. Then, I took a small piece of the pickle, nibbled on it and watched the expression on his face, which changed from startled, perplexed to slightly amused.

Result: The guy said to me, "Orang Cina memang suka makan benda cam ni ya?" (Translation: You Chinese love to eat food like this, right?). Speechless, I just nodded.

#3: Relationship with lecturers
Well, there's also such a perception that lecturers must look strict all the time, the students must show deference and respect to the lecturers, etc which cannot really be applied to the world we are living in right now. With all the new technology for communication and stuff, I daresay that all our status are slowly becoming equal. Personally, I prefer lecturers who can joke around with us, care about our lives and such instead of a wooden block of a lecturer who just comes into the class, teach, and go away.

What I did: I joked around with most of the lecturers, except for those whose faces hang as long as water dripping out of a bucket. Well, some of the jokes are just normal ones, like at the lift, one French lecturer ask me where I was going, and I answered, "Somewhere~" He appreciated the joke, and asked, "Somewhere over the rainbow?" That's just one of many examples. Mostly I do it during class, when the lecturers ask some questions and I just give random answers, which are literally correct but does not answer the question =D Provided that I see that they are in a good mood, of course ^_^

Result: The lecturers are less reserved, at least, they seem to be so ^^ And classes are so much more fun >3

Some other less unconventional things include saying hi to the people I don't know, talking to some of them (the responsive ones), greeting the canteen 'pakcik' and stuff like that xDD I have to say, it's been a very satisfying change for me, and I'm gonna continue breaking the conformity of my life.

Of course, there are more serious types of conformity than all those mentioned above, but they are sensitive issues, and well, should not be discussed by someone under a government scholarship =D

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

anal eaze cherry Really? amazing. rasskau you also an interesting story .. The site just super, I will recommend to friends! Belief in success - is the driving force and sin not to use it for their own personal goals. zabavno Exl how old dupe! Most people are happy as much as they have decided to be happy. - A. Lincoln Blog is excellent, plenty to like!

Anonymous said...

adult sonic the hedgehog art Added to your bookmarks. Now will you read much more often! share: but we have to work all pouvolnyali, and what to do now? The author, and you are out of town? Well done! Laugh not a sin, but admit it when you read this information at least surprised me:)) Cool everything: the picture and information You know now who rarely writes on the subject, very pleasant to read, I would advise to add more pictures! A long time ago I started this blog?

Anonymous said...

adult catholic confirmation Well without untoward happens - even a schoolboy on holiday give job. - Charles Lamb I thank you - for the warm welcome) In my opinion you stole this article and placed on another site. I had already seen. Well done! You read this and think .... A great portal, but it's worth more to add information Really? amazing. Thank you! In quotations!

Anonymous said...

gay xtube like web sites Well of course tin ... I read a similar article on this subject, but you have quite a different opinion, thanks, it was interesting to compare decided to help and sent out a post in the soc. bookmarks. hope to rise in popularity Most people are happy as much as they have decided to be happy. - A. Lincoln Who is mulberry? All true, but how else? Yes, but it's not all ... I hope it will still I NRA) is a good idea. Indeed ... super creative!

Anonymous said...

free big tits tg Very good site, but not bad-would make a version for smartphones. A huge thank you to a human, a very topical note. The morning began with a wonderful article, thank you! You can still search in Google .. They like. Must be waiting to continue. This topic is certainly of interest to all. Added to your bookmarks. Now will you read much more often! Well done! A huge thank you to a human, a very topical note.

Anonymous said...

adult barbie in a box costume Classroom paper, by the way the author would like to offer yandeks.deneg chip set from the site, "Give the ruble." I would give, so to speak on the maintenance. Thanks for the post, and this issue A huge thank you to a human, a very topical note. Few feelings .. but nice ... Blog is excellent, plenty to like! Thank you, useful thing. zabavno I do not know about you, but I like it! There is.

Anonymous said...

native american myths and legends colorado quit smoking idaho white pages van kent griffitts abb kent taylor chart recorders meth fumes ways to smoke meat heap cigarettes michael phelps smoke photo smoking crack rehab